I Guess This is Why We Are Christians, huh? By Brendan Armitage Before he was killed, Jack Beaton, of Bakersfield, Ca., shielded his wife, Laurie, from gunfire, his family said. His father-in-law, Jerry Cook, told BakersfieldNow.com that Mr. Beaton had covered his wife's body with his...
Our Building Does Ministry
How our building helps us minister to our community...
One way we seek to be the kingdom of God together is to give away our building for the good of our community. We are pleased to do weddings and funerals and events for members and non-members alike. We believe that if Jesus owned a building, it would be open to all who seek to make the world a better place to use and enjoy. Here is a list of the various entities who use our building:
Des Moines Mothers of Multiples: Zion is pleased to host the twice yearly DMOM sale which provides quality used clothes, strollers, toys, beds, and other equipment for moms and dads with twins and triplets and other multiple birth children. More info at: www.facebook.com/DesMoinesMothersofMultiples
Heartland Area Education Agency: We can support our local schools by providing space at a nominal charge for Heartland Area Education Agency to train and equip teachers and other educators. More information about Heartland AEA can be found at: www.aea11.k12.ia.us
Westside Early Education Center: This is a new association for us. Westside is a long established pre-school with a sterling reputation that became homeless in the late summer of 2011. Zion felt the Lord calling us to provide a temporary home for this pre-school and its children, teachers and families. Our hope is that by providing Westside with rent free temporary quarters for the next year, they might find a place that fully meets their needs and can accommodate their future needs.
ChildServe: ChildServe is a not for profit organization that partners with families to help children with special health care needs live a great life. Zion is proud to offer our space for ChildServe’s yearly Summer Camp. We look forward to our third year of collaboration in 2012. For more information about this organization visit: www.childserve.org
Polk County Emergency Management: Zion is pleased to be an emergency shelter for Polk County. In the event of a disaster, affected people will be able to stay at Zion. We sought out this relationship with our county and invited other churches to join us in this endeavor. Our belief is that whenever disaster strikes, the church should be a place of refuge.
Mission @ Zion:
The best and easiest way to get involved at Zion is through service. To find out more about how to get involved, please contact us or pick up our MISSION brochure at the info desk or online.
- Every school day, Zion volunteers drive students to and from school at the schools request.
- Twice a week, on Sundays and Wednesdays, we provide worship opportunities to help people get faith or grow in their faith.
- Once a week, we tutor children whose first language isn’t English, and teach them about Jesus.
- Once a month, we bring lunch and supplies and prayer teams and do an outreach to those who live on the street and hang out with the gang at Reggie’s Place.
- Every month, furniture and clothing is provided to refugees and other needy people in our area.
- Four times a year we convert our building into a shelter for homeless families through Invited Inn.
- Three times a year we bring smiles and a taco dinner to hungry families at Children and Families Urban Ministry.
- Every year we try to share the Gospel and eye glasses in Mexico.
- Every Christmas we supply needy families with in our community with baskets of food and presents.
Get Connected Now!
At Zion we know that the very best way for you to get connected to the church and make life-long friends and experience all that church is supposed to be is for you to get involved in serving. Others focus on fellowship, we choose to focus on doing the the will of God together. It is really easy to get involved. Here’s how: